Happy friggin Monday, kids.
Today’s workday was enough to leave me with a blistering headache, which I am nursing as we speak…er, write…whatever – I have a killer headache, is my point.
In better news: I had a groovy weekend. On Saturday, I hung out at my parent’s place with my three sisters and Dr. Niece. After eating pizza, drinking a few bottles of wine between us and wearing my poor parents out, we decided we had not had enough of each other’s company and we went to an old hang-out, a dive bar called “Our Place”.
Our Place is just not the same. They have a new jukebox which is nowhere near as cool as it used to be – that old jukebox was 90% of the reason we used to go in there (the other 10% was, well…the booze). They also took out half of their dart boards, but since it was very early in the evening and there were only a few people there*, we gals found an empty board and were able to play anyway. So I sucked at one game of darts, then sucked at one game of pool. And we reminisced about how I used to look like Boy George. And we danced to the crappy music on the juke.
Although I still love ABBA and you can’t make me not love them.
As we left, my blonde sister, Dr. Niece and I decided we still were not ready to go home, so we went and had another drink at a quasi-local Irish Pub.
I had not meant to stay out late (again) Saturday night…and I guess midnight is not terribly late, but I did feel a tad guilty when I got home and the Old Man was already fast asleep.
The Old Man is a saint, I tell you.
Yesterday, we were visited by Lily – The Old Man’s granddaughter (I must remind everyone again that I am NOT a Grandma), who will be three in December. Oh, she also brought her parents, but the main attraction was Lily. Lily is the cutest thing ever and is totally my best friend. When we see her, she latches on to me as if she’s a koala bear and I'm a big ol' Eucalyptus. I had to leave the room a few times, as I was making lunch for all of us. When I did I would hear chants of “Kay-when” from the living room. I finally brought her in to the kitchen with me and sat her on the counter so she could “help” me make lunch.
Having someone so sweet and innocent love me so much almost reignites my faith in humanity.
*We drove up and ours were the only two cars in the parking lot, so I thought the place would be empty. It wasn’t. I tend to forget that Our Place attracts an inordinate number of alcoholics…who tend to walk to the joint, whether because they know they’ll get drunk and want to walk home or because they long ago lost their driver’s license and will need to walk home.